13 febrero 2009

Passionate Ramblings on Government, Life, and Freedom

Forgive the length of this post. Don't feel obligated to read the whole thing.
These are just a few (somewhat disjointed thoughts) I've had recently while
thinking about our country. Sometimes it gets discouraging, but God is in
control. Isaiah 45:18.

Politically (as well as morally in many ways) our country is in bad shape. I just read of some bill passed by both houses about a so called Gender Based Fair Pay Act that makes it easier for people to sue if they think they are being discriminated against. First, where does Congress derive the authority to pass such legislation? Interstate Commerce? Secondly, how is this a national matter? Thirdly, what about people's right to discriminate? How should that be less than a right to "privacy?" Working a job is voluntary. What basis does anyone have to sue because of perceived pay discrimination? The freedom to make choices is a wonderful liberty we have. Where to work, what kind of job, or even to quit a job if we need to. (For the record, people need to know the whole definition of discriminate. People discriminate restaurants based on food, prices, service etc.) Fourthly, with further regulations on hiring practices, including pay, the govt. isn't helping people. In fact, it could lead to future layoffs or prevent hiring in the first place. Do I think there are some bad people that run businesses? Undoubtedly they exist. Do I run to Uncle Sam to fix everything? No! The action of running to Uncle Sam to fix everything (especially in the first resort) is one of the great detriments of our society.

Even when problems exist, the govt. (especially Congress) is not always (and mostly not) the best route to take for a solution. Recently, in a History of the New South class, we watched a clip from the movie Gettysburgh about Pickett's Charge. I don't always like to think about the late war, because of painful recollections. I was stirred up again, however, and wondered what I could take from that. For 15,000 men to charge a long field of open ground against men in entrenched positions and heavy cannon fire meant something. What are some of the connections then and today politically? For a sample, the role and nature of government. We, and most Southernors, relative to the rest of the population are patriotic. We care about our country and we mourn when it goes down and strays from good principles. We are wary, now as well as then, of central power in the hands of those who are in DC most of the time. We fear encroachments on liberty, burdensome regulations, high taxes (I might add, much more heavy than the tea tax that led to the Boston Tea Party) and much more. Further, we loath too much consolidation of power, and too many national laws. If Maine wants to make laws about a Maineish issue, let them, but do not always extend the same to Tennessee. Federalism, separation of power, balance of power, checks and balances etc. we like but find they are being lost.

Why should Congress be the grand depository of our hopes and trust of solutions? Why should we always cry for more government services when the very process lessens our liberty and makes us dependants of the state (need I say wards like in Bleak House?) Why do I refuse to take the position of being "against kids" when I'm opposed to expanding Pre-K programs? I'm very pro-kid. Do I think it in their best interest to be instructed by govt. teachers at the wee ages of 3, 4, and 5? Are there some parents not doing their job? Assuredly, they can be found. Is that enough of an excuse to give govt. the appellation of "Babysitter?" A thousand times nay! (I won't go into voluntary and involuntary pre-K right now, just the general issue.) Cradle to grave is not far from the situation right now. The teachers well meaning though they be, can't teach certain thinks to young tykes. Can they teach true morality with leaving out the Bible? Are we encouraging parents to transfer their God-given authority and responsibility to the government? We have to make choices. I side on the parents, not the govt. People can always point to exceptions (I heard them in Nashville aplenty), but the govt. doesn't necessarily have a glowing track record.

Finally, a rule of economics is nothing is free. How is the "free" handout given you? Somebody had to pay for it. If any of y'all have read this far, congratulations. Sometimes, these thoughts lie dormant, and at times, they rise to the surface like the "streams of the south." (See Daddy's sermon on that.)

Really finally, things are connected. We could give up politically, but should we? These have spiritual implications as well. Should we give up as Christians because times are tough? Assuredly not. We can pray and do what we can. We can't be responsible for everybody else, but we are accountable to God for our actions.

Reflections and Exhortations, An Essay
Setiago

3 comentarios:

Mimigrace08 dijo...

Wow! This relates to a lot of what we are discussing in my Politics and American Culture class. We, Americans in general, want our government to do so much, yet we resent taxes. The government tries to get too involved and we get riled about spending. Throw conservatives and liberals into the mix, and you're right, we do have a big mess.

BTW- I am almost definitely switching my major from English to History. I'll probably still have an English minor.

Androphenese dijo...

well struck, sire!

HandmaidenforHim dijo...

Enjoyed your "ramblings" since it is much of what I have thought and felt in recent times. I so despise what is happening in our government and am uhh..presently observing the socialist government/culture in France. I am praying our government never becomes as such though I fear it is already headed that way. I mean I'm enjoying France, but it would be nice to get through a week without some sort of strike. :/ The French just don't like to pay for anything and want the government to take care of it all, so they're mad that Sarcozy wants to privatize the university. Good heavens! It's a mess for sure!