12 abril 2009

My South: A Brief Description of Views and Experiences

Note: This piece stems from a short writing assignment I had from a class on Southern history. I decided to focus on the good points of this fair land (since some teachers I've had delight it seems, to focus only on negative aspects. To those not from the South, please accept my apologies. This is more pro-South than anti-anywhere else and reflects some experience I've and others have had.

The South has always invoked a strong response from me. From early childhood, I grew up thankful to live in the South. A large part of that has to do with a love for history and family heritage. Most of my relatives and friends live in the South and most of my travels have been in the same region. In fact, whenever I traveled to the North (which was not often, usually for a church meeting in Cincinnati or a town in Indiana outside of Chicago), I felt a sense of strange excitement whenever we crossed “the border.” I felt duty bound to represent my culture and location well and not be unduly influenced by the people that General Lee referred to as “those people.”

Like most young, energetic boys with any degree of imagination, I grew up playing with stick weapons and had my fair share of reenacting Confederates and Yankees. Of course, everybody who played was a Confederate and we had to fight imaginary Yankees since nobody wanted to be one. One of the best times was at my cousins’ house in the country when we had pellet guns. We had our flags waving and charged across the field. The first Gettysburg might have ended badly for us, but we were determined to be victorious this time. We were proud of the independent, freedom loving, warrior class heroes who defended their homes from invaders up North. When somebody brought up the question of slavery, we responded that of course we were against it, but like Lee and Jackson who freed their slaves, we were fighting for our state and against an oppressive government.

The South has always stood apart from the rest of the country, due in large part to shared experiences. The image of the Lost Cause may have lost its luster to the masses, but is still remembered by some. The reason why it is still important to me is because of similarities I see of what happened in the past and what is happening now. The federal government grew in leaps and bounds as a result of the War Between the States (and the New Deal) and is still growing today. Many view the states as mere subsidiaries of one huge national government. Federalism, the role of state government versus the central government, is largely ignored or forgotten. Both parties (especially the national parties) spend money like there is no tomorrow. Barriers to expansive government, and the checks and balances system, seem to have been broken or thwarted. Like the South before, I like to have government closer to the people instead of leaving it all up to ones who live in Washington D.C. most of the time.

Another important part about the South is time and place. One of the first things you ask somebody when being introduced is “Where are you from?” maybe even down to the county. If you continue for a few minutes, you have probably figured out that y’all have mutual friends or perhaps are even distant cousins. Elderly people are respected as they pass down advice, wisdom, and folklore from generation to generation. Through the ever changing times, there is a sense of stability and belonging. Religion is important as people travel long distances for two, three, or even four day church meetings when crowds gather to hear a visiting preacher. People open up their homes in genuine hospitality and everyone enjoys preaching, fellowship, and good food. In fact, friendships are often started and maintained through these meetings, and to the blessed ones, even future marriages. Singing schools, where people learn the old shape note style because they sing a cappella in their churches, are held usually in the summer.

Not even a cursory discussion of the South is complete without mentioning the stunningly delicious cuisine. Creamed corn, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas, gravy, biscuits, fried chicken, collard greens, and the ubiquitous barbecue (though Memphis has the best), are all admired and enjoyed. More could be written, but these are all things that comprise my South.

1 comentario:

Mimigrace08 dijo...

Very interesting and accurate observations :)
I guess I'm kind of a hybrid. My dad is a Georgia boy, and I lived there when I was little. We still eat a lot of southern food, and our last name is common in south Georgia. However,I love Ohio and I love my northern heritage, too.

What is your opinion on the hospitality differences between the north and south?