In classes of music and history, discussions revolved around the time period of expressionism and other -isms that signaled depression, uncertainty, and fear. After hearing a bit of the atonality of Schoenberg and seeing the abstractedness of Picasso, he wondered what had happened. From whence hath come this method of disorderliness, this new "liberation" that frees the musician and painter from the burdening rules? Instead, methinks of freedom, this liberating method hath led to grotesque ugliness. Music, designedly dissonant instead of blending harmony and melody of yore.
So here's to the Mozarts, Bachs, and Handels through whose music we enjoy beautiful arrangements of sound and unforgettable strains of delightful melody that stimulate our sense of order and rightness.
28 comentarios:
Sol? That sounds like one of my notes when I try to hit "Ray" (sp?)
Sorry I can't comment on the actual body of the post, but I didnt really understand it.
In other words, I like classical music, but don't care for a lot of the modern composers who intentionally make their music unpleasant to listen to.
if it makes you feel any better i knew what you were saying. ;)
i thoroughly agree. i've even heard a few Christian singers that did that to their music...do they think that hidious sounds blaring out of a speaker glorify Him?
woot for mozart!
schoenberg gives me hives.
nevah fear... We Understand You. And We Agree.
just out of curiosity... did your prof pronounce it "shane-berg" or "shurn-berg" or shoon-berg"?
i've heard all three.
I don't remember; it was last semester. I've always thought it was Show-en-berg, but that is my pronunciation and may not be correct.
hey guess what I found this blog. cool
seth, i also understood your post perfectly. the consonance with which you express yourself is strikingly pleasant to the ear.
while i cant speak for his instrumental side,thought i am sure it strongly resembles the following, schoenberg's choral compositions was amazing. insane, but amazing, and almost beautiful
"do they think that hidious sounds blaring out of a speaker glorify Him?"
What some call "hidious" others find quite lovely. Its amazing to me how the world has given music like "rap" and "hard rock" that particular negative image, due to certain relations the music as a whole may have as far as Christianity is concerned (what I'm saying is there are Christian rappers and rock artists out there, and some of their music is quite enjoyable to listen to).
Nonetheless, I bear no intention to hinder the discussion of this post, so please continue the talk of classical music (which is completely Greek to me), and I apologize for my intrusion on it.
I hardly ever listen to any music, but when i do it is Blugrass, or Classical. The hidious sounds blaring out the speaker bring to mind rebellion and disorder. Even Christian rappers and rock artists are trying to emulate this style.
I would have to, most respectfully, disagree. Though I would like to question for what sense of thought incurs one to think of it as "rebellion" and "disorder?"
I readily admit that I am no fanatic of rapping or hard rocking. Some of that may be just my personal disgust for the way rapping sounds. The small bit of rapping I have heard though (or that I have been forced to listen to) has definitely not been uplifting, but to the contrary has been full of unsavory language and a serious lack of musical quality. By quality, I mean that which is pleasant to listen to.
i dont/t like rap music either its so weird and annyoing do you like anyone and they just yell really loud and its retarded and so. classical music is good.
Christian rappers and rock artists have an apperance of the world. I for one, cannot distinguish Christian rock from the real thing.
I am definately in agree! The other day Mom, Jesse, and I tried the restaurant Freebirds and didn't really care for the rap music that sounded like a broken record. Believe me, it wasn't very appetizing! I enjoy listening to Sacred Harp a lot, but I must admit, I do have a liking for some oldies and one or two contemporary Christian artists. ;)
While yall make very justified and reasoned points, I still must confess that I disagree to an extent. I believe that what defines music styles like "rap" and "hard rock" as "worldly" is the image assessed to them by the worldly relations those music styles have had to foul, unGodly language over their course of existence.
Take Christian rap group "Grits" and Christian rock group "Reliant K." Both make their music in these music genre's defined as "an appearance of the world," however, neither have shown me any of the world in listening to their music. What I see is a style of music that has been "Christianized" and I love that. I am thrilled to see worldly things turned into something Christians can enjoy by eliminating the worldliness associated with them.
Thats just my personal assertion. Yall are welcome to continue stating your opposing viewpoints to mine. And I most definently don't mean this to distract from the initial subject of classical music this post was intended to discuss, but hope that it will broaden yall into the acceptance of any type of music that takes a Christian approach to it.
It is noise, not music.
Jack nips you are quite an open-minded individual.
The thing about rap and hard rock and other such types of music is not that they are inherently ungodly in themselves, but that they are the musical expression of the ungodly worldviews within which they were created. So while in theory they can be transformed and put to use as Christian art forms, in practice it is usually difficult to rid them of the sound of the original worldview, even if the content is explicitly Christian. Not saying it can't be done, but in most cases it is extremely difficult.
they are the musical expression of the ungodly worldviews within which they were created.
Might I kindly ask what you could use to specify, or rather evidence, how they are unGodly solely based on the music's genre? The reason I ask is because the point I have been making is that people are giving these genre's this "image" that they are worldly based on what the popularity on the music stands for, instead of the music and its words itself.
I believe that I can listen to a rap song, that is completely free of vulgarity, by a Christian artist and feel it is not at all hindering my walk with Christ to do so. It is soothing and enjoyable to my ears, and it is not a carnal lust of the world by any way I can see.
So while in theory they can be transformed and put to use as Christian art forms, in practice it is usually difficult to rid them of the sound of the original worldview, even if the content is explicitly Christian. Not saying it can't be done, but in most cases it is extremely difficult.
And you make a very good point for which I thank you for challenging my view so respectfully and thoughtfully. However, I do not believe it is quite so difficult. Lets say you have two options: 1- put on the headphones and listen to some Reliant K song, it is rock, but Christian, and nothing you will hear is triggered to drag you away from Christ in your daily life, or 2- engage in typical conversation with your friends, and it consists nothing of Biblical discussion or scripture quoting. Now which option would you take?
I am not saying that either is a better choice (I am most certainly not despising #2, for there is no reason for me to try to deny the Godliness in engaging socially with our peers), but I am saying that there is nothing wrong, or unGodly, with taking option #1 in this scenerio. While it may not be the most pleasing type of music for some to listen to (especially those who prefer classical) it is still not something of the world.
The reason why rapping and hard rocking have triggered certain images is because they have been associated with certain uncouth and unpleasant images, such as various artists and performers.
I actually have heard of one person on K-Love attempting to do a Christianized rap version, but he failed miserably. At least, I didn't listen to his whole song. To me, it didn't seem conducive to praise. We may be getting to a standstill, J-Thomp. You may like the style, while I don't. Part of the reason why I don't like the style is what it is associated with (bad words, images, etc.) but even without these, I don't care for the musical quality (or lack thereof).
Thank you for expounding on your thoughts.
i, personally, think rap is heathenish because they do not sing the shaped notes before singing the words. what is this world coming to.
Well I have to say that I've been around my share of rap and rock music...the majority of which was when I was in highschool...and I don't remember one song that uplifts me and makes my day brighter. On the contrary. I wish I didn't have those songs in my head. Now it's a struggle to keep my brain from recalling the words when I hear the tune.
I do enjoy a few contemporary christian artists, bluegrass, and hymns...and I'm growing to like more classical! ha!
thanks for the post!
That's hilare. I'm picturin this big rapper guy with his "chain hangin low" up on stage and he's starts singin...
Do! Mi! Sol! Mi! Do!
and then he starts his rappin'.
Oh my!
Seth- you are correct that these popular types of music are associated with a lot of aspects of the world. However, do you believe based on that experience you felt with a particular song, that it would mean all forms of "Christian" music in the genre's of rock, rap, and other similar kinds, are deemed worldly?
I have never been one to play on the images of society, personally, when viewing the Godliness of my actions. The Bible does not condemn alcohol consumption, and in fact Jesus even drank in certain parts of scripture, however it has become this "image" in the world today that alcohol consumption, outside of communion, is an act of the world. I would disagree. And I would like to reference something my pastor, Bro. Warren, said one time: "God never condemned the use of alcohol, he condemned the misuse of alcohol." Would you say God condemned rock music, or the misuse of rock music?
Thank you for allowing me the priviledge to share my thoughts on this. I bear no intentions of encouraging anyone to listen to music that you do not find pleasant to the ears. I only mean to share my differing opinion in a most respectful way, and appreciate any challenge to that opinion, but you are right it does look as though the debate could be approaching a stand still.
Drew- lol, we're not all quite as talented at reading music (and leading it) as you. :P
Lacey- I understand completely. I, in fact, became quite "addicted" to a lot of unGodly types of rap music, and have been trying to drown it out of my ears as I find myself growing increasingly stronger in the Lord. It helps to find interest in other types (for me, it was country, but bluegrass isn't bad either). ;)
Joe,
I just wanted to commend you on your attitude in the discussion. You keep a very even and cool disposition. I believe that you make every effort to be at peace with all men as the Bible tells us.
Everybody,
I personally don't own any rap at all, but I do own some Rock and Roll. I have some "PETRA" which I consider "old-school christian Rock".
I would like to interject two questions:
Can music -in and of itself - without lyrics be "good" or "bad"?
And, conversely, can a wonderful melody rendered "bad" because it is paired with horrible lyrics?
Bro. T.
(P.S. I love most classical music, Especially A. Copeland "Fanfare for the common man")
(PPS - some of Petra's lyrics are really really good. check out the lyrics to "CREED", "LOVE", "What's in a Name", and "Prayer" at the following website>
http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/beyondbelief.html#creed
You need to post something new dude
Publicar un comentario