The University of Memphis Tigers have advanced in the NCAA Tournament to the Sweet Sixteen by defeating Oral Roberts and Bucknell. The last time the Tigers went this far in the tourney was in the '94-'95 season when the stars were Mingo Johnson, Lorenzon Wright and Justin "Huge Lambchops" Wimmer. I was a young tyke of seven years, when the cool college people were Isaac and Justin. (By the way, they are still cool even though they are finished with college.) Although I didn't know as much about basketball then, I was well on my may to being a devoted fan, and remember getting my face painted with the Tiger blue and gray.
Besides getting them into the Sweet Sixteen, the win was significant in other ways. The victory, number 32, marked a record number of wins in a season that eclipsed the the 1984-1985 Final Four team that finished with a 31-4 record. Another notable statistic is that Rodney Carney, the "Indiana High Jump" that some thought might play in the shadows of DaJuan Wagner or other more high profile players, passed Tiger former player and coach Larry Finch on the all time scoring list for the number third spot. Just how did Carney eclipse the mark? Well, stay tuned to NCAA basketball highlights and the "One Shining Moment" tournament highlights reel and you may see it. Carney climbed up the scoring list with one of his trademark Carneyesque dunks.
13 comentarios:
Hey Seth, you're cute.
UK was great, kaity. Patrick Sparks seems to save his best for the tournament.
I'm so glad, I go to the U of M...I'm...so glad...I go to the U of M, singing glory hallellujah, whoo! I'm so glad...
The prospect of playing teams outside of the BCS conferences is fine with me. Of course, the reason why we have yet to do so in the tourney is because the non-BCS teams have beaten the BCS teams. What about the Missouri Valley? Two teams in the Sweet Sixteen. That gives them one more than the SEC which has only Florida left.
Hey Seth, you're still cute.
Actually, my bad. The SEC has two teams in the Sweet Sixteen. I forgot about LSU.
If the Tigers face Gonzaga I hope Morrison is worn and fatigued from this game against UCLA. Then we run and press him the whole game (switching from Carney, to S. Williams, to CDR on him) to wear him down. Remember the key to our win against Gonzaga during the regular season was that, near the end, Morrison was worn down, and we were fresh with our deep bench.
Final Four here we come, GEAUX TIGERS!!!!
hey Seth, Aunt Lynn thinks you're cute...
Seth is a ladies man ;)
Anyway, I just want to point out that Justin Wimmer wasnt really a star, he wasnt even a starter. Micheal Wilson, Cedric Henderson, David Vaughn, those were the stars, man I miss those guys, but Mingo Johnson was always my favorite. O yea and don't forget Rodney Newson, who is Rodney Carney's cousin. J/k on that, but seriously their game is very much alike.
Justin Wimmer may have not been the star, but he was one of my favorite players. For some reason, I also liked Leon Mitchell a lot too. I remember watching Michael Wilson dunk it from the free throw line against Long Beach State. I also remember listending to a Tigers game on the radio when Rodney Newsom hit seven threes in a victory over Cincy.
O yea I remember that game against Cincy. My dad and I were in the stands at the Pyramid in the Faculty area (this was when my dad was working at the U of M in Human Resources), and we beat Cincy in OT thanks to Rodney Newsom's 23 point performance, including a string of 7 consecutive three's.
Rodney Carney is like a combination of Newsom's 3-pt range with Michael Wilson athleticism. Thats what makes Carney such a poise to the opposition and the reason he'll likely be a lottery pick (far better than the player who we recruited in front of him, Qyntel Woods).
...And Seth is STILL cute...
Oh, well, thank you, very much.
Publicar un comentario