Anything that smacks of wit or irony is absolutely delightful. I enjoy reading witty, ironic poems, and I decided that to keep these poems to myself would be highly selfish of me. Therefore, for your viewing pleasure, here are a some of my favorites:
For A Lady I Know
By Countee Cullen
She even thinks that up in heaven
Her class lies late and snores,
While poor black cherubs rise at seven
To do celestial chores.
Oh No
By Robert Creeley
If you wander far enough
you will come to it
and when you get there
they will give you a place to sit
for yourself only, in a nice chair,
and all your friends will be there
with smiles on their faces
and they will likewise all have places.
**To understand the irony in the above poem, keep the title in mind**
The Golf Links
By Sarah N. Cleghorn
The golf links lie so near the mill
That almost every day
The laboring children can look out
And see the men at play.
The Dead Have No Respect
By David R. Axelrod
When she died he
had her decked
out better than she'd
looked in life, only to
have her run away with
some sailor they
called Charon.
Coward
By A.R. Ammons
Bravery runs in my family.
A Limerick of President Woodrow Wilson's
By President Woodrow Wilson
I sat next to the Duchess at tea;
It was just as I feared it would be:
Her rumblings abdominal
Were truly phenomenal
And everyone thought it was me!
8 comentarios:
The ones I understood were pretty good. I especially liked the "bravery runs in my family", and Woodrow Wilson's poem.
Where do you get off posting such blitherings, sir? I understood not a word, and think it very inconsiderate to post poems that nobody (obvious from the lack of comments) understands! For shame, sir! For shame!
Aye, Rino, tis a sore thing to have Nomos against thy poetry.
ok. i have seen this poem about bravery that you posted several times now, and I just now realized what it is saying. i now genuinely laugh..."hahahahaha!"
Where is Setiago these days? His protracted absence grows disturbing.
Should we send a committee? Smoke bombs? Chocolate chip cookies?
Please advise. We begin to fret.
I most heartily agree with you, Queen.
I just now *got* Coward, too!
Oh dear oh deary me.
Publicar un comentario