07 diciembre 2005
In Which I Emerge from the Darkness after the End of a Long Journey
Monday night, I went to a study group for my Global Challenge class. It was my first one to attend. Some were a little humored that I showed up in a dress shirt and tie, but I explained it was in celebraion of the next to last class day for my Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes. After clearing that up, we got to business. During the course of the meeting, someone asked for everyone's phone numbers in order to contact everybody for the next session. Upon being handed a cell phone, I fumbled with the keys, typed in the phone number (having previsously warned that it is almost always busy and that I didn't posses a cell phone, to the shock of some), and then attempted to type in my name. It took me awhile to figure it out and they were wondering why I was taking so long. I jokingly said that I was not good with technology and should have lived in the 1500s. Upon leaving, everyone else took the elevator, while I proceeded to walk swiftly down the stairs. I ended up getting to the ground floor faster, but they wondered why I persisted in taking the stairs instead of the elevator. The next day in class, one of them said something to the effect of "We wanted to ask you together. Are you Amish?" I was slightly stunned and humored by the inquiry. They said, "We noticed you are not good with cell phones and you don't like taking elevators and you have long sideburns and we were just wondering." I said something in response trying to convince them that I was not Amish. Then somebody said, "What, you're Amish?" Again, I responded in the negative. Be that as it may (to borrow the colloqualism) that is my new nickname for some people. I told them I ought to grow a beard and shave the mustache to look more convincing.
6 comentarios:
And I say, sing ho for stairs and dress shirts and ties and sideburns and the technologically challenged! Huzzah!
Pish posh, you're so much cooler than all those vanilla people. I would say "if they only knew" but they're all undoubtedly fretfully suspicious of your mysterious coolness already.
Thanks for relieving our considerable anxiety over your curious disappearance.
Now we know why - you were just taking the stairs.
Hehe. I recently visited the Amish. You are most certainly not Amish.
Sir Setiago! So nice of you to finally post something!
I enjoyed your story, it made me laugh, and you really should try to write more often.
Perhaps I shall, Sir Nomos of Rino. I need to take some time to write some poetry.
Shame on them for not appreciating your own unique style, bro. I love over-dressing for classes myself (minus the tie). There is nothing wrong with showing proper respect for one's appearence. It is not vain, just refined.
Publicar un comentario