08 octubre 2005
Northanger Abbey
When I started this blog, I wrote that the subjects would include, but not be limited to, politics, poetry, and prose. The one thing that has not been mentioned yet is prose. Having recently read Northanger Abbey, I conclude that is a good example of well written prose. Although the plot does not equal that of other Jane Austen books, it is still captivating nonetheless. If for nothing else, the book is enjoyable to read because of the style in which it is written. In all of Austen's books, she includes great, quotable lines. Miss Austin often writes quite perceptively of human nature. The following lines provided both insight and humor: "It would be mortifying to the feelings of many ladies, could they be made to understand how little the heart of man is affected by what is costly or new in their attire; how little it is biassed by the texture of their muslin, and how unsusceptible of peculiar tenderness towards the spotted, the sprigged, the mull or the jackonet. Woman is fine for her satisfaction alone. No man will admire her the more, no woman will like her the better for it. Neatness and fashion are enough for the former, and a something of shabbiness or impropriety will be most endearing for the latter."
16 comentarios:
To say that Northanger Abbey is a "good example of well written prose" is, methinks, an understatement! I greatly enjoyed this book, and I am most pleased to see that our literary tastes agree on this work of art.
The great thing about this book is that, even though it is an excellent work of art, it is still not her best! Jane Austen is truly an amazing woman.
I read this book last year, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I guess that you could not call this her best, but with really good writers, like Jane Austen, even what is not their best book is still way better than other books!
Indeed, I enjoyed reading it very much and agree that although I would not rate it among her best, it is still excellent reading. She employs a high quality of writing and good word choice.
Everything that Jane Austen wrote holds a grand taste of wonder and art. It is a shame her books are not as adored as they should be. Modern writers rarely match the quality found in classical literature.
I love that quote, it is very true indeed. If women (and men) understood that, it would save a lot of heartache-and money.
I believe women dress for women and not men. I know this may sound strange, but we realize that the majority of men do not know the difference between a cashmere sweater and a cotton sweater. Women do, however, and they would appreciate a cashmere sweater, whereas men would just notice you were wearing a shirt.
I think the "neatness and fashion for the former" was key. I do think most men admire that, but as for the specifics...well Miss Austen already said it well.
I won't argue with you, Eugene. Don't you think some women DO dress to be noticed by men? Is that not why some women dress immodestly?
Yes, I do agree that some women dress immodestly to attract men. However, some women dress immodestly because they don't care about being modest or have never thought about being modest.
Modesty is quite a wild idea these days, and I would be willing to bet(although I never would, you know)that many of our fellow young ladies do not even know what modesty is. I find this a sad truth to accept.
One more point that comes to mind...Modesty is relative in our society today.
How do you mean, "modesty is relative in our society today"? Do you mean that people interpret modesty in a variety of ways, or do you mean that there is no absolute standard of modesty?
My brother David recently preached a funeral for a teenage girl in his church who died tragically. He said there were hundreds and hundreds of people from the community at the funeral (did he say over a thousand?), and he was positively stunned by all the young women who came to the funeral in strapless dresses, halters, extremely short skirts, and even shorts.
His conclusion: nobody has ever taught them how to dress, and they truthfully do not know better.
I can't tell you how many times strangers -- usually older people -- have stopped me in public to say how much they appreciate seeing my daughters dressed decently. And they usually comment that parents are simply not teaching their children how to dress properly anymore. I think it's true.
please correct me if I am mistaken, eugene, I think what she meant, nomos, was that modesty is treated as relative in our society today...
I knew you would ask that question, nomos, the second I read it.
When I said that modesty is relative in our society today, I meant that what is modest to one person is immodest to another. To an Amish woman pants may seem immodest, but to a prostitute pants may seem modest. Therefore, if an Amish woman saw me walking around in jeans, she would most likely think I was immodest. However, the prostitute would think I was modestly dressed.
Nomos, I think that she has fully answered your question...you're just upset that she's too smart to take your bait.
nomos,
please spare us your pathetic nonsense;)
I know you are just being yourself, but her answer was just fine.
Roy and I were talking about this topic on our walk home from my Unlce's house today and we came to the conclusion that we REALLY appreciate all of our P.B. friends who are girls, I guess you could call them girlfriends:), anyway, we concluded that they are a whole lot better looking than the young ladies in the world.
We also concluded that you can be pretty and wear pretty clothes and still be modest, I think God has blessed most P.B. girls to do a great job.
Nathan, thanks for expressing appreciation and admiration for these girls. You guys really have no idea how much they need to hear it, nor what they go through to maintain their high standards. It takes a herculean effort to dress appropriately with what's offered to them in stores. You guys can just pop in a store and grab a shirt and some trousers, no problem. But it is a major hair-pull for females to wade through stores full of nothing but what we call "hooker Barbie" clothes and somehow wind up looking presentable, stylish and pretty.
My husband had no idea why it took so much time and effort to shop for our girls until he went with us a few years ago and tried to help them each find a new church dress. By the end of a full day traipsing through over a dozen stores and handling hundreds and hundreds of tacky, sleezy, horribly constructed dresses made of ugly fabrics and patterns, he began to sympathize. He also saw, very quickly, that if he wanted our girls to look modest, classy and feminine, it's going to cost more. If a girl wants to flaunt her flesh, there are always lots of options for that on the markdown racks.
It's apparent that the kind of men who dominate the clothing design field must really loathe females, because they obviously don't want us to look pretty.
It's nice for the girls to know that you all notice and appreciate their efforts. It would be a whole lot easier for them to just give in and wear the trash that's in style, I promise.
Wow Seth. What an inspiring post you gave. You are so cool -reading Northanger Abbey. It is the one of Jane's that I haven't read. I am glad there is one left, it will be kind of sad when there are no more new ones. It comes after finishing The Count.
Thanks NZG and Lynn. It does get depressing sometimes. Especially when what is classy and tasteful costs an arm and a leg and I am poowah, to use Lady Catherine DeBourgh's terminology. (Edna Mae Oliver does an hilarious interpretation of her to be found on the old B/W Pride and P. that is worthy and enjoyable in and of itself.)
-K
Publicar un comentario