08 mayo 2007

A Resurgence

I shall rouse myself from this state of blog posting inactivity. I am greatly disturbed by a vote recently passed by the US House of Representatives. The bill would give Washington, D.C. a voting member in Congress. As of now, the bill has not been passed by the Senate. Instead of launching into a tirade of why D.C. should not get a vote in Congress, let me submit facts to the candid reader:

Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution lists the duties of Congress including the right "to exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever over such district (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular States and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States,..."

This section makes it clear the Washington, D.C. is supposed to be under the direct control of Congress. Now, let us look at Article 1, Section 1 which describes what composes Congress.

Art. 1, Section 1 "The House of Representatives shall be composed of members chosen every second year by the people of the several States,.."

Likewise, in Section 3 "The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State,..."

Article 1 clearly states that only States (not districts, territories, D.C. Puerto Rico, Guam, other islands etc.) can send members to Congress. Why then, has the House of Representatives just passed this blatantly unconstitutional bill? Is it because some want another liberal vote in Congress? Is it because out of compassion for the non-represented people in D.C.? Is it because of misunderstanding, ignorance, or conniving?

I am convinced more and more that although some are ignorant of the Constitution, many others totally disregard it and pass all sorts of legislation if it suits their wishes.

11 comentarios:

Mimigrace08 dijo...

I feel sorry that you post has no comments, so here's mine!

I am not familiar with the laws, but your post seemed to prove the point. It would be nice if our government officals would actually read the Constitution!

HandmaidenforHim dijo...

Yes, I wasn't very happy either when I heard that the House of Representatives passed that bill. What's even more maddening is the bill they are voting on this week which will basically gag the citizens from calling their representatives and keep people such as Dr. Dobson from informing the people of what is going on in the Senate or House. It's unconstitutional! What is going on here!

Setiago dijo...

Oh, yes, I remember hearing something about that bill. More and more, the freedom of speech is being stifled.

Mimigrace08 dijo...

The one that kills me is the new Hate Crimes Bill.

Mimigrace08 dijo...

I don't know why blogger sometimes signs me in as emily, and sometimes as mimigrace08. Weird.

Setiago dijo...

Yes, I also heartily disagree with the federal hate crimes bill for several reasons. Briefly, how is this a national issue? Secondly, a crime is a crime and why should these groups be specifically included while others are left out. Thirdly, it lead to further encroachments on free speech.

Mimigrace08 dijo...

I heard (correct me if i'm wrong) that it could make preaching against homosexuality a crime. I shudder to think what could be ahead for our churches.

Mimigrace08 dijo...

We enjoyed seeing Thomas and Hannah this weekend at our meeting.I understand that she is headed to Memphis?

HandmaidenforHim dijo...

Well, at least the immigration bill didn't pass! I was pretty concerned about that one!

Mimigrace08 dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.
wam_home dijo...

Great post Sir Setiago. I am a political ignoramus but even I can understand your point.
We need to send YOU to Washington to get this stuff straightened out. Setiago for US Congress 2010?!!!