12 julio 2006

A Memphis Pastime: Basketball in the Heat and Humidity

Basketball is simply an enjoyable sport. The church parking lot has long been a site of hard-fought basketball games. Not much has changed on our court over the years except for the spray painted three point line and the fact that we are on our third goal in the history of the court (at least as long as I can remember.) Not many fouls are called on this court; the players having learned to not call one unless absolutely necessary, i.e. a very hard foul, and sometimes not even then. "Why?" you may ask. Because this, my friends, is part of the unwritten rules of our court, otherwise known as "The Slab."






12 comentarios:

fa-so-la-la dijo...

Y'all are nuts. It's a hundered degrees out, for heaven's sake!

:-)

Setiago dijo...

We are nuts, but at least we did have plenty of water. Indeed, water is a necessity without which we would be in dire straits.

Laura Kathryn dijo...

Ah, The Slab. I've watched many a game on it, my girlfriends and I making silent (or not so silent) thrilled exclamations. We didn't know what was going on...we just knew who was making it go on. ;)

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band dijo...

and just who came up with "the slab"?

Anónimo dijo...

what is prose?

Setiago dijo...

One definition of prose is "writing that is not poetry," as in books.

LaceyP dijo...

on day I'll get to see a REAL game played on the slab!

LaceyP dijo...

when were these pictures taken?

Setiago dijo...

The pictures were taken in the early part of July.

Setiago dijo...

Heggs, we ought to put that statement on a banner and hang it up by the goal.

LaceyP dijo...

I just keep lookin at these pictures...it looks like yall are havin so much fun!

Anónimo dijo...

gotta love the slab...