Commercial Appeal, The (Memphis, TN)
LITTLE GRACE CHRISTIAN LIGHTS FIRE
208-POINT GAME ENDS IN OT
Date: January 11, 1996
Section: Sports
Page: D3
Source: The Commercial Appeal
Edition: Final
Grace Christian School of Memphis is playing boys basketball for the first time in the school's 20-year history, but grabbed the attention of area fans Tuesday by winning what is believed to be the Shelby-Metro area's highest- scoring prep game since the 1990-91 season.
Grace Christian, which has 30 students in grades K-12, beat Woodlawn Baptist Academy, 105-103 in overtime, Tuesday night. Records show the last Shelby-Metro game to produce so many points was Hamilton's 122-119 victory over Raleigh-Egypt on Dec. 11, 1990.
"That was the first time I'd ever seen two teams score that much in high school ball," Woodlawn coach William Hamilton Jr. said Wednesday. "It almost looks like there was no defense, but people tried. "We had two guys foul out. Guys on that team (Grace Christian) got real hot, and we usually score pretty good. We do a lot of running and pressing (on defense)."
Woodlawn's William Hamilton III, a 5-8 freshman who leads the area in scoring with a 37-point average, scored 59 points for Woodlawn (5-3), and Tim Burton added 25.
Hamilton fouled out in overtime, when Grace Christian (5-5) outscored Woodlawn Baptist, 14-12.
Noah Guess, whose older brother, Isaac Guess, coaches Grace Christian, led his team with 49 points. Peter Cannon added 24 points.
"We had our guys spread out on offense, and Noah was able to drive through the lane and get some layups," Grace Christian assistant coach Rhonda Cannon said. "In the first half, our guys weren't playing too much defense.
"Then we decided to play a box-and-one (defense) on (Hamilton). And then we began forcing them to shoot more from the outside."
Grace Christian had to overcome a 46-29 deficit at halftime. The game marked the first time this season that Grace Christian has scored more than 90 points.
7 comentarios:
I still vividly remember this game. I remember when the Poes got to the game, I told them we were down by 17. Then in the second half, Noah took over the game. It was quite amazing. John hit an amazing three at the end to send the game to overtime.
Setiago, what great memories. That was a season for the ages. I still remember the games from that season, and not only the games, but also many of the different plays within the game. Great stuff. Thanks for finding that article.
what an amazing article. those were amazing days. enough to get choked up about, even though i was just a little youngster dreamin...
that is so cool! I just can't describe it! wow!
i think you were probably not he only one, luther heggs. :-)
Was that a real published article? Who was GCS's lineup back then.
I wish I couldve played on the team when Tim, Dan, Matt Price, and Stephen R. where there.
matt price? basketball? hehe. not quite
Publicar un comentario