26 septiembre 2005
Lessons from the Code of Hammurabi
Today in World Civ. class, our professor mentioned that he had been suffering from a cold. Seeing it was a displeasure to him and also having experienced a sore throat/cough the last couple of days, I offered my sympathy. He then jokingly said he may have received his sickness from me. Trying to be a good student, I mentioned that perhaps we should follow the Code of Hammurabi and submit ourselves to a test. That is namely, my throwing myself in the holy river, or in our case, the Mississippi River to find out my innoncece or guilt. If I were innoncent, according to the Mesopotamians, I would not be harmed by the river, but if I were the guilty party, I would sink beneath the o'erwhelming waves. However, to my great relief, the professor was good enough to not hold me to the test and I therefore, do not have to jump into the Mississippi River. I am quite glad, for I have doubts about the effectiveness of the ancient test to declare innocence or guilt.
2 comentarios:
And I have doubts as to the cleanliness of the Mississippi River!
amen
Publicar un comentario