08 agosto 2005

A Tribute to Heroism

Having recently attended a Confederate Ball has triggered some thoughts in my mind concerning some of the leaders of that tumultuous era. General Robert E. Lee comes to mind. He turned down an offer of the Union forces because of his conviction. His own college, the prestigious military school West Point, included in their curriculum the following paragraph, "It depends on a State itself whether it will continue a member of the Union. To deny this would be inconsistent with the principle on which all our political systems are founded, which is that people have in all cases the right to determine how they shall be governed. The State may wholly withdraw from the Union...the secession of the State from the Union depends on the will of the people of such a State. (Rawle of the Constitution) After bravely commanding the Confederate forces against overwhelming odds, Lee taught at Washington College, now named Washington and Lee University. Although he could have left teaching for a larger salary elsewhere, Lee stated, "I cannot leave my present position. I have a self-imposed task. I have led the young men of the South in battle. I must now teach their sons to discharge their duty in life." Lee was a humble man who was also self-disciplined. When once asked for a piece of advice concerning a young boy, Lee responded, "Teach him he must deny himself." Indeed, we need more of this attitude today. We need self-disciplined, meek leaders who act on conviction and their faith in God.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Amen! That's all I have to say!