25 agosto 2005

Thoughts on the Individual

After finishing George Orwell's "Animal Farm," which is an allegory featuring animals as communists (very funny in a scary/odd way), I have been thinking about Orwell's hypothetical dilemma of the individual versus "Big Brother" (or "Big Pig," in this case).

Orwell wrote "Animal Farm" as a prophetic novel, but I find it interesting to note that his "prediction" of what the future would be like, never came to fulfillment. The horrific terror of totalitarian dictatorship never materialized as the conqueror of the world. Instead, the U.S.S.R. collapsed under economic and political pressures, the Individual triumphed, and disaster was avoided. But why? Why didn't Orwell's imagined world materialize?

I think that the main reason communism failed, is the uncontrollable nature of man. No dictator, no secret police, no hobnailed boots, can stomp out man's natural tendency toward evil. Men will always be selfish and greedy, and no amount of regulation can stomp out those feelings. Communists have shown the brutal efficiency with which they can subdue a people, but a few years down the road the system will always collapse. Few people beside idealists will work after they realize that everything they do is profiting someone beside themselves. The dictator will, of course, force the people to work, but no one works as hard for others as he does for himself. Fairly soon, people will be starving because there is not enough food to go around. Then the people will find, as George Orwell said, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." The "pigs" will take the food, live in the farmhouse, and keep the other animals working for them, until finally the system collapses.

"Utopia" has long been the mantra of socialists (liberals) and communists (liberals with attitude problems), but utopia has never succeeded. Instead, it merely adds to human suffering by ignoring man's nature and forcing him to attempt the impossible. Capitalism is not the most perfect system, but we can safely say that it is the only system that actually works.

Long live Capitalism!

9 comentarios:

Setiago dijo...

Halloa, Rino! I am glad that you have decided to assist me in posting! Indeed, Communism is a horrible system. Utopia, or "no place" will never succeed on this earth.

Anónimo dijo...

Wow, I never realized that when I read Animal Farm a few years ago. That clears up a lot of questions I had about the book. I really need to read that book Seth suggested that deals with Communism. I enjoyed your post, you should write more.

Owl of the Desert dijo...

Hello! Laura K. from Jasper writing. We discussed communism and socialism in Western Civ. II last semester. One of the points made that I found interesting was a statement written in the "Communist Manifesto." It said that the ultimate end or perfection of communism would result in no ruling power. So, all the countries that claim to be communist today, really aren't, because there is still a very strong, ruling authority. The intentions of Karl Marx may have been good, but no one can implement the system...because as you stated, we have a sinful nature.

Anónimo dijo...

Is Jack Nips JMach?

And is that a secret combination of thingamajigs to say something of hidden origin, or did your tongue-I mean fingers get unloosed, Redster? =p

Androphenese dijo...

I am glad to see, Rhino, that you have finally admitted that Capitalism is, indeed, superior to Communism. I knew that college would squeeze it out of you... *hahaha*

fa-so-la-la dijo...

I too am relieved....
;-)

Lynn Bruce dijo...

If I were taking the course you're taking, I would definitely read GKC's The Outline of Sanity in my spare time for counterpoint.

Ever the contrarian, he predicted flawed outcomes from both capitalism and socialism. Much of what he predicted would happen with both systems back in 1926 has come to pass.

He also wrote about the coming globalization of society as being antithetical to Christian aims.

It's always invigorating to consider contrary viewpoints. This book might be a welcome antidote to your course text. ;-) FSLL will be reading it this year, and then of course she'll start blogging about it and you'll wish you'd read it already, so you might as well just give in and read it and get a head start on her.

;-)

Lynn Bruce dijo...

Oh, I got mixed up. Now I see this was a Rino entry. Well, then... I was referring to the course text for the Global Challenge class, which Setiago is taking.

Perhaps you're taking it, too?

Anónimo dijo...

Rino, I thought your post was idiotic. Communism is an example of the masses rising up against their opprssors. What's your problem? Do you WANT to keep The People under their so-called "masters'" feet? Perhaps you think you're better than the common man because you have never gone hungry. Scratch that - you didn't think at all. I just wanted you to know that as long as you hold these beliefs, I hold you an idiot.