Cast Down, but Not Destroyed
When faced with struggles, turmoil, and strife;
Like small craft on a tumultuous sea;
Battered about with the torrents of life;
Afraid from the current, o’erwhelmed will be;
Dashed among the rocks, what hope is there left?
A lone, weary soldier of friends bereft,
Amidst the onslaught of the angry foe,
Still fighting, but bashed by many a blow.
Forsooth, in such a state if all alone
We must indeed soon fall, all efforts gone.
Bitter sorrow and shame—is this the end?
Has the foe all conquered? The noble cause
Still true and right, but with naught to defend?
But lo! Remember the Scripture because
To the image of Baal seven thousand
Yet have refused to make obeisance.
They still bravely fight with God’s assistance,
For no one can withstand His mighty hand.
He is thy fortress. Take courage anew.
Truth shall be triumphant, for God is true.
16 agosto 2005
Cast Down, but Not Destroyed
I wrote this poem after considering a certain college class I have to take this semester. It is one with which I totally disagree, the book being written by one of the most influential, but dangerous philosophers in the country. No doubt, at times it will be rough being bombarded by non-Christian teachings. However, God is always near and is in complete control.
13 comentarios:
So THIS is the poem that you were writing last night, huh?! I'm very impressed! How do you do that?! It's really great! Oh by the way...I didn't get to say goodbye today before I left..sorry bout that! So now I'm telling you...Bye Seth! I'll see you next time I'm in M-town!! :)
Well, goodbye. I hope your trip went well. Next time, we'll have to not help the other team in Taboo!
good stuff man
Seth, who's the author, and what's the text?
I have written all the poems that are on the blog. The text is from I Kings 19:18 when God told Elijah, "Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him."
Seth, your poems are really quite fine... but I was asking about the author and title of the text for the class you're taking.
The title of the textbook is One World by Peter Singer.
OH. MY. STARS.
Not Singer, please... groan. Seth, dear cousin, you just landed yourself on the top of my prayer list.
Please ask someone sane to read this with you. I nominate A. Huffman.
Ditto what Queen Shenaynay said. You'll be in my prayers, bro.
I really enjoyed your poem. I think it's one of your best ones I've seen so far.
Yes, indeed, I do very much appreciate your prayers. When I read about Peter Singer from a WORLD Magazine report, I was sickened. He is consistent in his beliefs, and consistently evil and wrong. What is worse, he is very influential. I agree that A. Huffman would be a good person with which to discuss this.
Seth, do you read the World blog?
www.worldmagblog.com
Singer issued a challenge to World readers there on August 17 in response to that interview, and got well over 100 responses.
No, Queen, I have not read the World blog, but thanks for telling me about it. It sounds quite interesting. I would like to see what Singer wrote.
The World blog is an interesting cosmos. It attracts all kinds and occasionally the going gets rough (not a place for pre-teens), but typically the more mature Christians there engage detractors with intelligence and grace.
There's an education to be had there... it can be instructive to watch how thinking Christians handle intellectual and cultural challenges, and the World blog is one of the few venues I know of where you can be an invisible scholar for that sort of cultural engagement on a regular basis.
I encourage C&C to go there weekly.
Publicar un comentario